The Word of God has much to say about generosity and giving. Below you will find some of the verses that give us wise counsel when it comes to Gospel-centered giving.
- We give to our church. We release our giving into the hands of local church leadership (Num. 18:27-29; Lev. 23:9-14; Acts 4:32-37, 6:1).
- We give first. We are to seek first God’s Kingdom—a first fruits principle—not worrying about what we will eat or drink, but trusting that he will take care of our needs (Matt. 6:33).
- We give generously and freely (2 Cor. 8, Gal 5:1).
- Giving is good for us. Giving benefits the giver, not just the beneficiary (2 Cor. 8).
- Giving is a joy. We give as a joyful response to what God has given us in Jesus Christ (2 Cor. 8).
- It is all God’s anyway. Everything we have comes from God and belongs to God, therefore we are not really sacrificing anything when we give (Jas. 1:17; 1 Cor. 6:19-20; Rom. 12:1-2).
- We support our church leaders. We are to support those who serve us in the equipping and training of the gospel (1 Cor. 9:1-14; Gal. 6:6-7; 1 Tim. 5:17-25).
- Our giving grows over time. We should grow in our giving as we more fully embrace the gospel (Matt. 25:31-46; Acts 2:44-45, 3:34-35).